Peggy, I'm so sorry Scooter passed on. I think you've really pulled all the good out of the situation, from reading your post, you sound like you've really learned a lot that will help other cats in the future from Scooter's experience.
Your vet is right, you should keep the memory of Scooter in his good times in your mind, and remember, so long as he's in your thoughts, he's never really gone. My condolences go out to you. Keep that positive attitude, it's a ray of sunshine in times of darkness, and I really respect you for that; but also know it's OK to be sad, and to cry, it's natural to hurt when someone you love dies. You're not weak for grieving, you're just being human.

Phaewryn

Checked by AVG Free Edition.