Hi Lee,
First of all, thank you for helping this stray and caring enough, (and knowing enough), to not take the first test as definitive.  Your comment about the outhouse cracked me up.  I can relate, I'm out of space myself.  A while back we had a lively discussion about PCR testing for felv.  I asked at my specialty clinic and the paste below is the answer I received.  If you do a search in our archives, (search on pcr), you should come up with the entire discussion.  From what I recall, the problem with PCR testing is in the accuracy of the lab that is doing the work.  Here's one of my emails from the discussion:

>Hi guys,
I haven't had time to check my other emails and I late for a dog training appointment.  I did see this answer from Kate, chemist that used to work at my vet clinic.  Synchronistically, she is now doing research involving FelV and PCR testing!  I asked my vets the question I posed to Dr. Susan and this is the answer:

This is Kate who used to work at VMSG.  I stopped by
the office the other day, and asked about my old
buddies.  Michelle told me Jazz and Gracie were doing
well with the feline interferon treatment.  I'm so
happy to hear that!!!!
Anyway, I'm currently working at California Lutheran
University, and I am getting to do research. Coincidentally enough I am working with FeLV (a strain
that has not been sequenced yet) and am running PCR on
it.  Okay, the difference between PCR and ELISA.... ELISA
screens for antibodies (proteins) that are specific
for the FeLV virus.  False positives may occur from
other antibodies that mimic antibodies to the virus. Furthermore, kittens may show false positive, if the
queen (momma cat) was exposed to FeLV, passing her
antibodies along to her kitten, but not necessarily
the virus.  ELISA shows that a cat has been exposed to
FeLV, but not necessarily has the virus (this is why
repeat testing must be done in order to determine that
the cat is indeed positive for FeLV).  On the other
hand, it is possible for a cat to be FeLV positive,
but to have a negative ELISA.  For instance, if the
virus is latent, ELISA may not show positive for the
virus.  PCR (polymerase chain reaction), however,
deals directly with the nucleic acid (the genteic
material) of the virus, and amplifies it.  If the
virus is not present, the genetic material of the
virus is not present, and therefore, PCR will not make
more of something that isn't there.  So, if a kitty
has FeLV, it will be detectable by PCR.  A positive
for PCR is 100% positive (provided the person running
the sample did not contaminate it).  A negative PCR is
almost always negative (provided the person running
the PCR is experienced in the technique).  There are
many studies out there that have used PCR to detect
FeLV from bone marrow.  Therefore, a blood sample
could be submitted to test for FeLV.  Ideally, the
best would be to get a bone marrow sample.  Side note,
red blood cells do not carry genetic material (they
are the only cells that do not do this). Consequently, at a crime scene when the detectives
obtain a blood sample they extract the genetic
material from the white blood cells, and run a PCR. By running PCR they are able to take a small bit of
genetic material and get it to generate alot of
genetic material.  The genetic material in humans is
of course DNA.  The FeLV virus's genetic material is
RNA.  It is able to take it's RNA and make DNA (a
process called reverse transcription, which only
certain viruses can do), but it's DNA is short lived. Viruses cannot replicate on their own and require a
host to carry out this process.  Short answer to your
question is, yes, you can do a PCR test for FeLV.  Why
this isn't used always instead of ELISA is a whole
other  can of worms.  Basically, you have to separate
kitty DNA from virus RNA, not hard but there can be
contamination.  The genetic sequence of FeLV strain A
is known, but researchers are not sure that this is
the only strain that causes the virus, and whether
other strains have an effect on the disease.  The
primers (the little pieces of genetic material that
tag the genetic material of the virus) have to be
specific to make PCR work, i.e. to amplify the virus's
genetic material.  Then there is a problem with
standardization of tests from lab to lab.  PCR is an
awesome tool, but alas, like everything else in the
universe, comes with its own set of rules.  Basically,
scientists do not have all the answers yet to FeLV. However, when we get results, these are published
which allows doctors more information to treat thier
patients.  But somewhere in a small lab, researchers
continue to seek answers.....  Don't know if this
helps or if you are more confused.>