I'd HIGHLY suspect herpes-virus. Herpes can cause all of the same symptoms
as an URI can, plus it's MORE apt to cause eyes to seal shut and to cause
cornea damage. It IS treatable though, I have a regimen suggested a year or
so ago from this list:
One treatment for Feline Herpes recommended to me via email:
One treatment is Interferon and L-Lysine(which is an immune system booster
to help his own body fight it off). Interferon is available from a vet, but
L-Lysine is over the counter (you can find it at a health food store). A
treatment for the active infection would be Acyclovir (Zovirax) which is an
oral anti-viral and an antibiotic (either Doxycycline, Azithromycin or
Rifampin). Those used in conjunction with Vit A supplementation and Viroptic
eye drops (or Idoxuride/Betadine eye drops or Chloramphenical eye drops
since Viroptic is expensive) really work great to clear up the active
infection. Once cleared, the patient should remain on the Vit A, Interferon
and L-Lysine to prevent future recurrences. They should also be kept
stress-free. Of course, you should always get the permission form the vet
before doing any of this. Similar diseases (that cause similar symptoms) are
Bartonella, Chlamydia, and Mycoplasma (all of which can occur along with
Herpes).
L-Lysine 500mg twice a day
Interferon 10 units orally once a day for 7 days, stop for 7 days, then give
10 units orally once daily for 7 days (and so one)
Doxycycline 5 mg per pound twice daily for 6 weeks
Azithromycin 5 mg per pound once daily for 21 days
Rifampin 5 mg per pound once a day for 21 days
For Vit A supplement you can use Felivite 2 with Taurine (it contains Vit A
as well as a few others to help with immune boosting)
Eye Drops are usually dosed three times a day (use caution to use NOTHING
containing a steroid as steroids will actually aggravate the eye and make it
worse)
All of these dosages came from The Journal of the American Animal Hospital
Association Jan/Feb 2004, pg 6-12

This treatment has proven VERY successful at treating my Greek sponsor cat,
he's vastly improved now!
Here are a few other links to possible viruses that could be at the root of
your cats' illnesses:
http://www.fabcats.org/catflu1.html
http://vet.osu.edu/assets/courses/vm718/sam2/herpes.html
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1327&S=1&SourceID=42
http://maxshouse.com/Resp_Di_.Comp.htm
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/rhinotracheitis.html
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/calici.html
http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/clinical/diagnostics/companion/ocatflu.htm
http://sacs.vetmed.ufl.edu/Ophtho/Feline/Feline.htm

As for the intestinal problems, well, IBD is only one of many conditions
that can lead to poopie-butt. Has your vet tested for tritrichomonsis? it's
becoming more and more common in cats lately...
http://www.fabcats.org/tritrichomonas.html
http://ucat.us/Trichomonosis.doc
This is a page that explains what can lead to an IBD diagnosis:
http://www.bestfriends.org/members/health/felinflbwl.htm

Phaewryn

Please adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Low cost Spay&Neuter services in VT, and Emergency Financial Assistance for
cat owners:
http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
The Sofa Poem: http://ucat.us/sofapoem.html