  From: Jennifer Phaewryn O'Gwynn
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:29 PM
  Subject: Re: new diagnosis

  Hi Dianne, sorry you had to find us, but I am glad you did!

  Yes, you do need to find a more sympathetic vet! First off, JUST doing a FELV
test is NOT really good enough to make such a drastic decision on. Your vet
needs to pull a CBC (that's a full blood testing panel), or at least check her
hemocrit (that's the amount of iron in the blood) and see if she's anemic.
Anemia is the #1 cause of FELV+ cats feeling under the weather, and VERY OFTEN,
it is totally treatable. If her hemocrit comes back below 10, you should do a
blood transfusion. You should also have your vet test for Hemobartonella if she
is anemic, as that is a major CURABLE cause of anemia in cats.

  You may also want to consider a course of Immunoregulin, and start her on
oral Interferon, as an immune booster. You can find the info about those
treatments on our treatment webpage. On your own, you can go ahead and start
her on vitamin C supplements, and feed the VERY BEST food you can afford.
Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup, and California Natural are all very good cat
food brands. The Whiskers brand cat milk is OK, but they do make BETTER liquid
diets for cats, try Catsure, Formula V, Clinicare, or Rebound brands:

https://secure.petag.com/products_details.asp?ItemID=1666&CategoryID=2&SubCategoryID=13

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14075&N=2002+113617

  http://www.allivet.com/Rebound-Feline-Liquid-Diet-p/12070.htm

http://www.southernagriculture.com/southag/product.asp?dept_id=3028&pf_id=PAAAAABBFKMPKIBH

  Your vet can also prescribe easy to digest and easy to mix with liquid canned
food, called Prescription A/D. You can blend this with one of the liquid cat
food diets, and syringe feed it to her using an oral syringe:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3393&Ntt=feeding%20syringe&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2002&Nty=1

  Here's a few sites on WHY and HOW to syringe feed:
  http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htm
  http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

  Phaewryn

  PLEASE SAVE WHITEY: http://ucat.us/Whitey.html
  Please adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
  Low cost Spay&Neuter services in VT, and Emergency Financial Assistance for
cat owners:
  http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
  Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html