Dry FIP often has different symptoms, commonly neurological issues, and they
usually survive longer than the wet FIP victims do. Dry FIP usually presents
with vague clinical signs, Like anorexia, losing weight, depression, anemia,
fever, and a dull coat (sometimes with a "greasy" look). Many cats with dry
FIP become jaundiced, and get various eye problems, usually the iris (the
colored part of the eye around the pupil) changes color, parts of it may
appear brown. The cat may bleed into the eye, or white precipitates appear
on the cornea.

Wet FIP usually results in organ failure, due to the nature of the disease,
the organs just "seep" serum like fluid (not sure of the actual terminology
off the top of my head) out into the abdomen and chest cavities, often death
from wet FIP is caused by respiratory failure, combined with anemia, and
other conditions caused by organs failing to perform their functions.

I, personally, feel that humane euthanasia IS a valid course of action for a
cat that is highly suspected of being FIP positive IF (NOTE THE IF) the cat
is showing symptoms and is ill. Obviously, any cat that has been diagnosed
as FIP+ MUST have clinical symptoms, otherwise it's just a Corona infection,
and NOT FIP. I think euthanasia should definitely happen BEFORE the cat goes
into multi-organ failure, FIP is 100% fatal, prolonging the cat's life is
not buying it much quality time in the end stages of FIP. I am NOT a
hard-core picket sign toting vegan no kill activist (PETA comes to mind)
though, I feel that suffering needlessly is cruelty, not a humane and
peaceful death. Unless you are using the cat as a test subject to try to
develop new treatments for FIP (sadly, often cats MUST suffer in the name of
science), then I don't think the current treatment options buy enough
quality time to justify allowing the cat to suffer needlessly in advanced
stages (and with wet FIP, we're talking a matter of a few weeks commonly).
Hopefully, in a couple of years, I will have changed my mind on this topic,
because new treatments will be produced, and enough trials will have been
run to show that treatment is a viable option for symptomatic FIP cases.

It would be interesting to know if this kitten's brother had wet or dry FIP,
if that information is available...

Phaewryn

Please save Whitey! http://ucat.us/Whitey.html
VT low cost Spay&Neuter, and Emergency Financial Assistance for cat owners:
http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html