I would remove the blind eye if your vet thinks he would be strong enough
for the surgery, it's pointless to keep a source of pain which serves no
purpose other than to create pain. Blind cats really do very well, I know
you don't want it to come to that, but blind and comfortable would be
preferable to being able to see "a little" with constant pain.
http://blindcatrescue.com/moreinfo.html
http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/cat-behavior/blindcats.cfm
Handicats2 is a great support group for handicapped cats, several members
have blind cats there, and can answer any questions you may have: