Helene,

  I'm way behind on my email and hope this post finds Delilah feeling better
and eating more.

  tonya

Helene Hand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      Hi, all,

  I don't communicate nearly as often as I should, but I read the posts and
keep up with you guys.  My 16 year old siamese, Delilah,is not eating well at
all-  her son, Sammy died this summer as a result of FELV-he lived to be 15,
though!!! with many thanks to advice and love on this list- so she is still
grieving for him. She only weighs 6 pounds and is very petite.I give her any
canned food she will eat-she has sworn off of her dry science diet, etc.  At
this point, she only likes certain few fancy feast turkey and chicken mixtures,
and (people) bumblebee tuna, and beechnut baby chicken and turkey and beef
meats.  (no onion). Canned chicken, too. I have an array of foods in the
cabinet for her!!  Also likes Tyson's already cooked chicken breasts which we
share.

  The vet has suggested cyproheptadine (periactin- an antihistimine) as an
appetite stimulant  2 mg. twice daily.  She is also on tapizole 2 mg. 2 times
daily for hyperthyroidism. Her coat looks great, now, and no knobby spine!! She
absolutely hates being pilled.  I have to mummy her. I am trying the pill
pouches, -she hates them,too- I have the tapizole in pill form, also in a
transdermal gel, but her ears are looking inflamed on the inside from the gel,
so stopped that. Now I have ordered the tapizole in a suspension from an on
line  vet. pharmacy in Texas. I have a good compounding pharmacy locally, but
they do not make the tapizole in a suspension.

  My question is, has anyone tried periactin for an appetite stimulant??  She
has been on it 4 days and is eating better, I think.  Are there any side
effects?   Any suggestions?

  Stumbled across this link by accident, and found alot of little nuggets of
info., so wanted to share.  Helene

        http://www.thensome.com/cats.htm