that's kind of what i meant--yes, FIP means there's been a corona
virus exposure/infection, but it is still possible for an FIP-positive
cat to not show a high titre. might not be COMMON, but just as a high
titre doesn't prove FIP, a low one doesn't exclude it either. kind of
like a negative FeLV test doesn't mean a cat is negative...... or that
a positive one doesn't mean the cat is positive, either....

You can't have FIP without Corona, the Corona mutates into FIP, but it doesn't
make
it so that it's not Corona, it just creates the condition known as FIP (it's
not the
virus that mutates, it's the condition that mutates, if that makes sense). At
least
that's how I read it from Dr. Addie's site. It is very rare for a cat with FIP
to not
show a Corona titer, and I included that explanation below...

FIP occurs when the cat reacts inappropriately to feline coronavirus (FCoV)
infection. Most cats simply become infected, shed FCoV for a month or two,
mount an
immune response, eliminate the virus and live happily ever after. However, for
reasons that we don't yet fully understand, instead of clearing FCoV infection,
an
unfortunate few cats develop FIP.
The presence of antibodies indicates that the cat has been infected with FCoV,
the
cause of FIP. Any FCoV antibody titre can occur in cases of wet or effusive
FIP, but
most cats with FIP have extremely high antibody titres (1280 or greater).
Antibody
titres of 0 are unusual in FIP cases and are usually considered as indicating
that
the cat does not have FIP.  (However, if other parameters suggest a diagnosis
of FIP,
despite having an antibody titre of 0, then this is the one situation where
FCoV RNA
detection (RT-PCR), performed on a sample of the effusion, is diagnostic of
FIP.  In
these cats there is so much virus in the effusion that all the antibody is
bound to
it, and none is available to bind to virus in the test.)

Phaewryn

http://ucat.us
Adopt a New England FIV+ cat:
http://ucat.us/FIVadopt.html
Special Needs Cat Links (and feline info library):
http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Declawing Creates SUFFERING, Please don't declaw!
http://www.pawproject.com/kona.html

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....