I have severe asthma so I feel like I know a little bit about steroids.
Steroids can reduce inflammation while not fighting fever- and at the same
time leaving the body unable to properly fight off infection -- that was
really my point in this.

Long term steroid use can have devastating effects on a body...including
osteoporosis, bruising, cataracts...dexamethasone gives me acid reflux so
bad that it shoots up and burn the insides of my sinuses (TMI -
sorry).  Cushing's syndrome is terrible -- caused by long-term steroid use.
NSAIDs work by a different mechanism on inflammation...their long-term side
effects are quite different...and their effects to surpress fever are quite
different.  (one dose of aspirin or advil will send me straight to ER -
believe me - they work differently)

I am painfully aware of the necessary evil of steroids - I am living
proof...being able to breathe is something I find to be pretty
important...but I respectfully do not believe that steroids reduce fever.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (such as ibuprophen and aspirin and
naproxin-sodium) do...but corticosteroids do not reduce fever and can,
infact, leave the body more susceptible to conditions that cause fever.

elizabeth