i read something once that really struck me--oddly enough, it was in
an ann landers or dear abby column....

it was whether we would give up the joy we've shared with a loved one
if it meant being spared the pain of losing them. looked at that way,
there's no question for me--nor for anyone i've ever talked with--that
the answer is "no." it is ALWAYS hard to say goodbye, even when we
know it means peace for the one who's gone on, those left behind will
always hurt. another, sort of kitschy, but sweet thing that i've heard
is that the intense pain of a critter's passing is just their clawing
their permanent space into our hearts....

they come to US, instead of to someone else, for a reason--because
there is something only we can give them, and because there is
something we need to learn that only they can teach us. i can't prove
this, i just KNOW it. sometimes i feel guilty, because i think the
furry ones who have blessed my life, be it for hours or years, have
given me far more than i could possibly have given them.

you gave mylo love, food, a roof over his head, the best medical care
that you could provide, and a gentle passage surrounded by those who
cared for him. think of how many humans cannot say that about their
last days. your gifts to him were priceless, and he knows it.

MC