Thanks MC, it's going in the file.
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:
okay, i promised to look this up.... this was from last week's Chat Week chat with Marty Becker, DVM (of ABC-TV and "Chicken Soup..." fame)

*handsmom:* I have an Abby and she has gotten a large bald spot from constantly licking. What can I do?

*DrMarty_nr: *handsmom, the first thing is to go to your vet and rule out things that aren't obvious. We always have to be careful not to just go a knee-jerk reaction and go to what we think it is, we need to do a complete physical exam and diagnostic testing to confirm what it is, and not just what we think it is. There are three probabilities, one is flea allergy dermatitis. It only takes one flea bite, you don't have to see them crawling all over the cat if the cat is sensitive it just takes one bite

Number two is what we call atopy. Atopy is an allergic reaction, humans sneeze, cats scratch or lick. Typically they'll do one spot- they'll just constantly go to that one spot right down to the bare skin or the sub layers of the skin.* *The lucky thing about that is there is a new drug out called Atopica from Merial that's really working wonders on dogs and cats with atopy. Even pets who have suffered from that for years.

MC

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ICQ: 289856892