  From: elizabeth trent
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:39 PM
  Subject: Mama Kitty Update

  We are back from the vet's office.  I am very glad we went.

  Last year, when I first took Mama Kitty in and found out that she was FeVL+,
she weighed about 7lbs.  She was so anemic that they didn't want to take her
blood.  She had no fever and so they thought this was a very grave situation
because her body wasn't even fighting and they recommended that we say goodbye.
 After steroids, antibiotics, vitamin B12 and Acemannan, she was like a new
kitty...even playing with her toys and chasing the laser.

  Mama Kitty has had a bit of a crash today, however.  She didn't even protest
when I put her in the pet taxi - so I know she did not feel well.  She had a
temperature of 104.  Weighed 9lbs.  She was dehydrated.

  They did a full blood panel on her - she is very anemic.  When they picked
her up to weigh her, she 'leaked' some very concentrated urine and so they
aspirated her bladder and did a urinalysis too.  Her liver enzymes are slighly
elevated but they didn't seem to think that was serious.

  They gave her fluids, a Vitamin B12, a Benz-Dex shot, and an antibiotic shot
(all in one so she only got stuck once) and then they called the compounding
pharmacy and got them to make a transdermal gel of doxycycline and prednison.
They ordered the Acemannan while I was there and it should be here in a couple
of days.

  I have some conflicting stats here -- the vet told me that her hematacrit(sp)
was about 17 and a half - but this printout I have says HTC is 10.6%.  I sure
hope this print-out is wrong.  I know they ran the test more than once.  They
also tested again for FeVL+ has she has a faint positive.  Her RBC is 2.35LR1
(normal is 5-11)...Hb is 4.6L (normal is 8-15).  Her white blood cell counts
are moderately low.

  It isn't what you want to hear but I do think we are far better off than we
were when I took her in last summer.  The fluids made her feel a little better
and she ate a few bites of chicken hearts and liver.  The vet recommended that
I try to encourage her to eat.  He wanted to give her Pet Tinnic but there is
just no way that Mama Kitty will tolerate that.

  I am very glad that my vet is willing to help in any way he can.  He's come a
long way from recommending that Mama be PTS last summer.  She's had a wonderful
quality of life since the Acemannan and I am hoping we can help her through
this rough spot.

  She's resting comfortably now and is perkier than when I took her in this
afternoon.  She's getting love of love.

  Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.
  elizabeth and Mama Kitty