Esprit has never had this before, in well over a year since she left the Merced
shelter.  She's an older girl, over 5 years, and vaccinated against
rhinotraceitis, and she's an only cat.  So I think a sudden herpes flareup is
unlikely.  This is her first spring in southern California though and the plant
life is very different.  I know the first year in a new climate, for people and
for cats, can require a little adjustment to new pollens.

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          Well, it's a common
transient herpes infection symptom, so that's something to consider. It works
kind of like genital herpes in humans, it's fine until one day "boom", an
outbreak happens, then you treat the outbreak, and it goes away, till the next
time another one flares up. Lysine would be the only thing I could suggest, if
she's not already supplementing with it. Well Feline Interferon Omega would
help, but it's kinda hard to get and expensive for just a little eye booger
syndrome, if it's not causing him any discomfort. Even if it is Herpes, it's
very treatable and not a big concern, as the outbreaks are usually limited to
runny eyes and the occasional sneezing. She should watch the eye for ulcer
formation, which is not as common of a symptom, but more serious. Herpes should
never be treated with steroid eye ointments or drops, so unless she completely
rules out herpes, do NOT use an anti-inflammatory eye medication that
 contains steroids. An antibiotic eye medication wouldn't hurt anything though,
just on the off chance it is some kind of infection. I believe Terramycin is
one that doesn't contain any steroids, just be sure to read the label, as LOTS
of the commonly prescribed eye ointments and drops DO have steroids in them.
Oh, and one more thing, she can give him a half a benadryl tablet (up to 12.5
MG - 1/4 tablet if he's a smaller cat)... if it is allergies, that should help
substantially (but will make him groggy).

Phaewryn

  http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Special Needs Cat Resources