If you are going to buy a trap, instead of borrow one, I'd definitely step up for a trap that has the guillotine back door. It makes it sooo much easier to transfer ferals from trap to carrier, bait, release, etc. I have a Tru-catch and I love it. The way the door mechanism works is much quieter, (closes with rings that slide down on the side of the door), and makes it impossible for them to escape out before the door shuts all the way. I also bought a med dog size trap to use with kittens and harder to catch guys, (I have to rig it with a pull stick and hide in bushes though because kittens/cats don't weigh enough to trip the plate). I bought mine online: http://www.animal-traps.com/ <http://www.animal-traps.com/>

Wendy,
If you can get with a local feral group, they might have a drop trap to lend you. It's another of those, 'got to be there while you're trapping' kind of traps, but it's the best way to get someone wily, and also the best way to get the one you're after. If they don't already have a drop trap, they should build one. Here's one site for plans:
http://www.droptrapdesign.blogspot.com/

We modified the wood version, but alley cat allies has a pvc version that I'm told works well too.
Nina

Kelley Saveika wrote:
Wow, I did not know you could buy traps at Lowes/Home Depot.  I was
asking the local feral people about traps a while back and they did
not know that either, I don't think.  I will say that the local feral
people do not like HavAHeart traps...they like TruCatch traps aka "the
nice brown traps."