Dear Deana:

You don't have to give up on those babies at all! Some vets--and some people--are much more likely to PTS little babies like that but it certainly isn't necessary at all. I raised three little newborns (The Three Orange Boyz) and they are now 10 months old. I kept them all because I wanted them to grow up and stay with their sibbies their whole life long. They tested negative to FeLV when they were tiny and then at nine months one developed swollen glands and found out on one day that he was FeLV pos and the next day that he had lymphoma. He's on chemotherapy and doing very well! The other babies are still negative and are now vaccinated against FeLV.

You were in the right place twice for this little family. Once, when the poor mama was attacked and ran and again when she returned to you. She had her babies at your house so she felt safe with you, which is wonderful! Be sure and keep the babies very warm (very!) and, also, purchase some Bene-Bac for their little gut flora. The best kind to get is the big tube, not the little bitty ones from the pet stores. You will go berserk trying to feed Bene-Bac to squirmy little ones from those tiny tubes AND it will cost more, too! Revival Health is in Iowa (and on the web) and they have the good stuff. When they get poopy and you have to wash them under running water (which mine HATED!) go to the pharmacy and buy some little throwaway human baby washcloths because the poo is hard to get off. It's easier to get them clean AND they are SO fluffy and sweet- smelling! Your babies are so little that you can cut each human baby- sized washcloth into 16 (yes, sixteen!) itty bitty washcloths for kitty babies! Also, invest in disposable human bed pads--they're not very attractive (that green!) but boy, do they keep the laundry down. I wanted them to be groomed as though they had a kitty mommy-- it's good for their immune system --so I got them a tiny flea comb. I think it's Revival that sells a teeny-tiny flea comb about four or five inches long and it makes a perfect little hairbrush for them-- and they love it! I tried a toothbrush but it didn't work and that's when I saw the teeny little flea comb. Perfect!

Oh--and don't let them suck on the little boys' peepees--not a good idea since they have such a strong sucking capacity. You will know that's what they are doing when they get what I like to call "peepee head:" the fur on their face will be plastered down and then above their forehead it'll be fluffy again. It's very amusing. Some people say to separate them but I didn't do that--I just carefully stopped it when they started rooting around somebody's little bottom and they're fine. If mommy was there they would obviously suck on her. There is a pillow that is available that has built-in nipples made from KMR nipples! It's expensive, though, and I'd just make one myself. There is also a kitty-mommy stuffed animal that has a heartbeat with it (from Target or Revival.)

I would get the tiny ones tested--you don't have to do it right away. But you should take in your Ragdoll girl and have her tested, because it's good to know.

I got a gorgeous little long-haired tuxedo, Mamie, that nobody wanted because she was FeLV positive. My vet and his tech saved her life when she was found on a golf course sick and wormy and fleazy. We had no idea how long she would live, so every birthday was a milestone. She was in fabulous health for ten years and then her immune system gave up on her. The vets just thought she was amazing. And so did I! Once you have one you learn fast how easy it is to care for them--and how long they can live, too!

The only other thing I can think of to say--now--is, I would not have them spayed or neutered at the early age that is sometimes recommended. I feel that it's better if they are older, especially since they may have a weaker immune system because they lost their mommy, so I like to give them an edge by doing it at the older recommended age.

I love little kitty babies! You are so lucky to care for them! Aren't they sweet? And sooo noisy when they are hungry! And I love their little tomato tummies! I hope I haven't given you kitten- raising information that you already know and if I have I apologize. But you absolutely don't have to PTS them. They deserve to live, too. Just be sure that your vet realizes that, too. Keep the big kitties away from the babies until you know everyone's FeLV status, tho.

What colors are they?  Are they long or short haired?  Boys?  Girls?

Tee

Taylor Scobie Humphrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]