Oh dear.

Well, Joey got respiratory distress right after I took him to the
emergency room (he died of complications of AIHA).

Honestly he wouldn't have lasted long enough to get him to the
emergency room to be put to sleep had he gone into respiratory
distress at home.  I had CPR done on him, which was probably a
mistake.  It kept him alive for a few minutes more before I asked them
to stop.

I did ask if he were in pain, and they told me he was "not aware",
which is pretty much their standard answer when a cat is dying.

I'm so sorry.

Kelley