you know, I have found this to be pretty true, also.  I have taken several
farm cats into my home bec. they got injured and were later determined to
be FELV+ or they were simply too sweet to part with.  Most have been former
Toms (of course, they are immed. vetted/neutered, etc), but these cats have
been the  most loving cats I have had, that and the ones rescued from the
city streets after being mangled up and rescued.  It is almost like they
are grateful.

________