Hi Susan,

We went through this 4 yrs ago with our largest foster
home.  It's really a nightmare.  Looking back I can
see we did a few things wrong.  Beating the bushes and
calling their names was the wrong thing to do, esp
with the more feral cats.  Setting traps is really a
better idea.

You might pick up tips from catsinthebag.org too.

The leftover smell of the fire and smoke might
discourage them from coming too close to the house -
talk about a bad memory! - so maybe setting traps in
neighbor's yards might be helpful.

A very few neighbors put food and water out on back
porches or near bushes where a frightened cat could
sneak in and eat and the neighbor would let us know if
that happened so we would then set a trap right there.
 If your neighbors are helpful, that's half the
battle.

Those 2 things were important to recognize, in
hindsight - the home that now smelled like a nightmare
and the calm, calculated drawing in of the cats in the
surrounding area.

Thinking of you and your cats,

Janine