  From: Caroline Kaufmann
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 1:06 PM
  Subject: Update on Felv+ B/W Female kitty...good news!

  Great news!  A while ago, when Monkee was still alive, I had posted about a
B/W, long-haired, docile, sweet, female FelV+ cat (maybe a year old?) who my
contact at the no-kill adoption agency had picked up from a colony downtown and
had gotten fixed.  She planned to re-release her, but she tested her for FeLV+
and FIV (which she never does), and she's Felv+.  So she's had this dilemma
about what to do and the cat's been living in her bathroom since I think at
least the end of June because she couldn't bring herself to re-release.

  Anyway, she got adopted last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I couldn't't believe
it!!!  She is now living in HUGE house in a really expensive part of
town-basically, she's a rich kitty now!  There's a lady who currently has a
male 8 yo Felv+ cat.  Her son, who's in first grade, told her he wanted a
kitty.  She told him that they couldn't't get a kitty because they have a Felv+
cat.  Somehow, she must have contacted the adoption agency and actually asked
for a Felv+ (which usually never happens).   My contact took her the cat
yesterday, so she got to see her huge house.  The lady showed her around and
then said: "Now, let me show you Baby's room!"  (the cat has been nicknamed
Baby by my friend keeping her in the b-room).  My friend was like, "What?!  Her
room?!"   Yep.  She has her OWN bedroom!  Of course, Baby will have the run of
the house too, since this lady has only Felv+ cats, but she also has her own
separate bedroom.  Apparently, it was all set up with her litter box and play
toys and kitty-hammock.  I was just so happy to hear that Baby doesn't't have
to go back outside and live out her life as a Downtown Louisville Colony cat.,
I almost cried.  Thank god my contact held onto her and didn't't break down and
re-release.

  In further good news, I suspected this lady may have wanted another Felv+ cat
because she hadn't lost one yet (I know, I was being negative and I shouldn't't
be like that).  But apparently, she had one other than the 8 yo male that she
recently lost- so she has been thru it and knows what she's getting into I
guess.  Also, I can't believe she has a Felv+ cat that is 8!  Of course, I am
jealous..I would have given anything to have had The Monkee for 8 years.  My
friend said the lady has her 8 yo on Interferon and she asked me if I had
treated Monkee with that (no- only during chemo).  That led to a discussion
where I yet again lamented whether I did everything I could to prevent the FelV
taking over while Monkee was still healthy, i.e., did we go to the right vet?
Was his Vet proactive enough (I really can't decide about this one)?  Were
people proactively treating healthy Felv+ cats like they are now (with
supplements and Interferon) 4 ½ years ago when I first found him (questioning
whether the resources were available- I'd rather not know the answer to this
one).  Alas, answers to these questions don't really matter now and I know
Monkee had a great life.just another subtle instance that makes me doubt
myself..but this isn't about me or Monkee, it's about the fact that the B/W
female got adopted and is going to be a rich-kitty and well-taken care of!  I'm
so happy!

  -Caroline

  Gear up for Halo® 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.