I am very sad to let everyone know that Hobbs passed away Sunday afternoon
at 12:48 p.m.

His caregiver, Jann, woke up Saturday and dashed around to replenish
supplies....but when she got home he was clearly declining.   She felt he
was suffering and made the decision on Sunday to cease force feedings as he
was obviously in pain.   She did keep his mouth moist and tried to keep him
warm, mostly just allowing him to do whatever he wanted or could.   She took
a sleeping bag in her spare room & slept with him Saturday night, and spent
Sunday morning in her yard with him in the sun, petting and consoling him.

We had been trying to find a vet to come to her home, but he ended up
passing on his own...which we are grateful for, though she fears she allowed
him to suffer.   I think had we not tried the treatments of this last week,
we would be wondering if he might have had more time.

Please add Hobbs to the Candle Light Service, and keep Jann and his sister
Sissy in your prayers, they were "two little peas in a pod", as Jann would
say.  Hobbs was a year old.   I am very thankful to Jann for giving Hobbs &
Sissy the chance to live the life of love that all kitties deserve,
regardless of what is in their blood.   We found them when, after 20 years
in the same building on a busy university campus, I moved to a new office on
the other side of campus.   I was very nervous about this decision and kept
telling everyone I wished that I'd get a "sign from God".   Upon moving, I
had 2 injured feral cats colonies in the first two weeks, and also was
approached by a new coworker regarding an injured cat, who was Hobbs' and
Sissy's Mom.   She had an eye & ear injury and my heart immediately told me
I had to help her; we did not know she was a nursing Mom.   I had been told
she was declawed, and that they'd caught her 6 months prior along with a
kitten of hers (negative), she also was not injured then.   Why she was put
back out unspayed, I will never know unless it was because they thought she
might have more kittens.   When I trapped her, she was not declawed but was
positive for FELV, FIV, and a nursing Mom.   I really feel that Mama, Sissy,
Hobbs, Mickey & Sebastian were that sign from God I'd sought, as they would
either still be out there reproducing and likely ill, or would have been put
down due to testing positive for Leukemia had someone else trapped them.

I set out to find/trap the kittens and found out that 2 ladies had already
found 2 of them, I had to give them the news of the Mom' testing status.
Both of their kittens were weak double+, but did clear the FIV.   Initially
Sissy and Hobbs were only FIV+, but they retested positive for Leukemia a
month later, confirmed by retesting twice.

I was so upset by all that this Mom kitty had been through, and knowing that
much of it--including this litter of kittens with leukemia, could have been
prevented had she been spayed...there was no way I could not give them their
chance.   However, being in a small condo with 10 cats, I didn't even have
room for another negative cat.   It is Hobbs' caretaker, Jann, who gave
Hobbs and Sissy the chance for life and love that they deserved, and I know
they could not have had a more loving home.   I am very grateful for Jann,
and know she is hurting badly right now.

I want to thank everyone for their kindness, support, advice and prayers.
Hobbs was a very special boy, when I first took them to Jann's as
kittens she said she felt an instant connection, she has always told me
this.   His illness and loss has been very hard for her and she has been
very appreciative of the support.   Thank you all for giving these special
kitties love for the time that they have here, it means everything in the
world for them.

In Loving Memory of Hobbs,

Heather