From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of souther...@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:12 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Introduction - new here (LONG)

I just found this list after doing a little on line reading.  I joined this
list to learn more about the issues surrounding caring for a Feline Leukemia
positive cat.  Here's our story:

I have never owned a cat or even been around a cat in my life and I'm almost
52.  Two years ago this coming spring I was in my yard working in my flowers
and this poor scrawny cat came and climbed up in my lap.  I kept moving him
and he came moving back in my lap.  He just kept hanging around so I gave
him milk (remember I know NOTHING about cats).  The next day he was sitting
on my front porch so I brought him some dog food out (that's all I had as I
have always had dogs)  He ate it as fast as I'd give it to him.  The next
day he was still there so I bought him catfood.  I started feeding him every
day outside.  He stayed.  After about 3 weeks I figured if he was going to
stay I better get him to a vet and get him neutered.  I took him to my dog's
vet who tested him for Feline Leukemia and I don't know what else and said
he's positive for Feline Leukemia, you might as well have him put to sleep
as he's gonna die anyway.
Well, I'd become attached to him so I said, no not gonna do that.  Go ahead
and neuter him and give him whatever vaccinations he needs and we'll go from
there.  I found a local vet that specializes in cats and took him there.  I
moved him inside and there's he's been ever since. He's a huge boy now, a
sweet loving lap cat and  I love him with all my heart :-)

He's had some problems, a kidney infection, eye infections, and now he's
having some issues with what they think is pancreatitis.  He's had bouts of
vomiting, and loss of appetite.  It comes back after a day or so and he's
fine for several days but then it seems to come back.  I'm now waiting on
the results of some test that may be able to determine if it is truly
pancreatitis.  All his other blood levels are normal.  No temp.  Today his
heart rate was up but other than that he was normal other than he acted like
his tummy hurt and he wouldn't eat and didn't want to be handled (both
things are very unlike him as he'd sit in my lap for hours usually if I'll
let him)

So here we are and we're hoping to learn.  Oh, his name is General Sterling
Price, named for a cat in a John Wayne movie, True Grit (Mattie Ross: You
don't
have any family, do you?Except Chen Lee and that lazy cat. Cogburn:
General Price don't belong to me.Cats don't belong to nobody! He just rooms
with me.Course I depend on him...)

Sidney and General Sterling Price