Hi, this was sent to the list but didn't make it, I am forwarding it, please respond to April directly at * aprilpres...@verizon.net*

Hi. I am responding to a post by Wendy on 1/10/09 titled ‘Benny’…sorry, I am not sure how to respond other than emailing…. Benny is doing the same. Very anemic. He is still pretty lethargic and weak and won’t eat much on his own. He did, however, gain 1 pound since I started assist feeding him a/d prescription food. But I would give anything to get him eating on his own again. Wendy asked if my vet put him on a 3 week round of doxycycline for possible hemo, and no, he did not. Benny’s hemo tests came back negative when we got him bloodwork done about a month ago. And then on Christmas eve, we got him more bloodwork that showed his RBC really low, (also his WBC and his platelet count was super low) but the vet didn’t mention hemo then either. I asked the vet today if doxy would be an option for Benny and he said he would be scared to give it to him because of the side effects....he mentioned doxy can create throat ulcers that if they burst could cause the cat to aspirate on their food???? Has anyone ever heard of this? I am so confused as to what treatment roads to take with Benny. So far, this is what he has gotten since he got sick….(this is all over a 6 week period)

6 weeks of Immunoregulan injections

1 week of interferon (we added this just this past week)

1 week of Clavamox antibiotic (We also added this just this past week as well)

Probiotics twice daily

Omega 3’s twice daily

Hi Vites twice daily

1 week of Nutri-Cal (a high calorie supplement) added to his food

2 weeks of Transfer Factor Plus

1 Injection of Cortisone (Trying to stimulate appetite)

1 Injection of B-12 (Just today for anemia and appetite)

Sub Q’s last weekend

1 can of a/d food syringed to him every 24 hours

I am scared of putting one more new thing into his system, but don’t want to pass up on the chance to give him something (doxy) that might really get him better. I believe it is severe anemia that we are battling. We can’t afford Epogen shots and the vets say a blood transfusion wouldn’t even be worth it because of it being so temporary. Some days I think Benny is doing better and looking stronger, and some days I think ‘how can he possibly go on being this weak. He still gets up and walks around and goes up and down the steps to his litter box, but aside from that he pretty much hides out behind the couch and stays in one spot all day long. L He has been my best friend for 13 years and I am not about to give up on him without doing everything I can. And I can’t figure out if he is not eating on his own because he just won’t eat or if I am stuffing his face with a syringe all day long and he is too full to eat. But unfortunately, my gut tells me it is not the latter.

What should I do?????
--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...