I can't remember how old you said that Grr is but I foster lots of very
thin cats for the local shelter.
At first I used canned kitten food alot for extra calories but with
respect to an older (+10 years) cat,
my vet said that the high protein content in kitten food was not good for
an older cat's kidneys.

Although you aren't interested in useless calories, for very thin cats, I
supplement with some Nutrical
which you can get at the Pet store cheaper than from a vet, several times
a day.  My experience has
been that Nutrical is something of an appetite stimulant.  Or maybe it
works that once an emaciated cat
starts getting a threshold level of calories, their appetite starts to
kick in again.

After looking at the calorie content of foods and trying lots of things, I
usually feed Hill's A/D (from the vet) which
isn't so extra high in calories but is apparently very digestible and high
in nutrition, Nutrical, and
meat baby food as a supplemental treat to start putting weight on cats.
Extra bits of nice chicken or other meat
in between meals can also be a help.