From: Emily Hunter <emilyofw...@aol.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Zinc and anemia
To: "Felv Talk List" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 3:40 AM

Since anemia can be a persistent and deadly problem for felv+ cats, the recent
recall of some of the Nutro foods is disturbing to me. The reason given for the
recall is a problem with the amounts of zinc and potassium. Apparently too much
zinc leads to copper deficiency and anemia, although this is not particularly
common in cats. I started reading about this condition literally a few hours
before Denzel died, because one of the symptoms of copper deficiency in black
cats (he originally was solid black) is that their fur turns rust colored - by
that time Denzel was almost looking like a tortie! I didn't follow up with the
vet about what I'd been reading because all the docs who were treating Denzel
were pretty sure his anemia had to be from hemobart. (Nothing was detected
under the microscope, but I understand that's fairly common.)

I'm definitely feeling guilty because I actually got him some of the Nutro soft
food when he started to get sick that last time, because I liked the ingredient
list. Logically I know that a couple of pouches wouldn't cause the whole
problem, but now I wonder if some of his other food may have had a similar
problem, or if he got ahold of one of the zinc pills my mom and I were both
taking for cold season.

Anyway, my reason for posting this is to let others fighting the dreaded anemia
know that this is something to check with your vets about; maybe copper
supplementation can help prolong some kitties' lives. (But do not supplement
without a vet's guidance! Cats only need a trace amount of copper!)

-Emily (I know, I read too much for my own good!)
Sent from my iPhone