I personally have never seen anemia as a painful death. But The ace sounds like a good option.

Gloria

On Aug 13, 2009, at 8:13 AM, POTT, BEVERLY wrote:

I have given cats ace promazine in situations like that, before I take
them to the vet to be put to sleep. That way, they aren't stressed out
from going there, and don't end up wasting away for days or weeks on
end. I've often wished that a cat would pass away in his/ her sleep, so that I wouldn't have to take them in (of course that never happens), but
it's just too painful to watch them gasping for breath, or trying to
walk and falling down, etc. Just my personal opinion...

-----Original Message-----
From: Lorrie [mailto:felineres...@kvinet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:03 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Difficult decision

Dear Friends,  I have a difficult decision to make, and I hope you
can help.......  I have several FelV cats at a shelter I have in
town. Most remain in good health by all appearances, however one 8
year old female has been steadily losing weight, she is now very
anemic; extremely emaciatedm and she stopped eating two days ago. She
will still lick a bit of baby food from my fingers, and she is still
drinking water, but this is all. I know she is probably going to die
soon, but I want her to die in familiar surroundings where she is
loved, rather than having to make a trip to the vet which is always
terrifying for cats. The vets here will not come out to see or
euthanize a sick cat.

This cat does not appear to be in any pain. She has no tumors, nor
neurogical symptoms, but I know she will soon die from the anemia.
I do not believe in extending the life of a cat who has a terminal
illness, therefore I will not put her through transfusions or heroic
measures.  If I had a terminal illness I would not wish this for
myself!

What I'm asking is this........ I'm sure some of you have had anemic
FelV cats and I want to know if dying from anemia is painful.  If so
I will have her put to sleep. Even though I know the trip to the vet
will be frightening for her....... I do not want her to suffer.

Thank you for your help,

Lorrie