Dr. Fox had a letter in his column recently from a lady whose cat suddenly lost
control of her back legs and was screaming constantly.  he said this often
happens expecially with older cats.  they develope a blood clot and it lodges
in the spie just before the hind legs, causing paralysis.  if you get to the
hospital fast enough, can remove/disolve the clot releaving the painand
paralysis.  not so with an older cat, they usually cnnot take the anethesia.
dorlis