if you go to the cornell vet school site, you'll find the research from last
year about active virus being found in dried secretions up to a few days
after having been, "expressed." this research is being used all over the
country as yet another reason to kill FeLVs, tho the professionals i've
spoken to affirmed my reading that it has no real meaning outside of a a
trivia challenge: we have no clue how much virus is required to infect
another cat, but for many years it's been recognized that it required,
"persistent, prolonged contact." and i've yet to hear how some cat is
supposed to go find a syringe, locate the active virus in some dried sample
someplace, rehydrate it, and then inject it into another family cat's
bloodstream. (i keep seeing an image of a big maine coon sneaking about at
night, trying to do this with a polydactyl paw....)

the, "when it dries, it dies," was the standard for years, even tho it
wasn't actually 100% true either--there was research showing the virus could
IN RARE CASES exist up to a couple of hours after leaving the cat.

what this shows, however, is the reality that even the most open-minded
vet--ie, those who don't just treat FeLV with euthanasia--cannot possibly be
up to date on everything affected every species. that's an
impossibility--human docs can't keep up with one species, after all.

those of us with a great investment, then, are often more up-to-date than
veterinarians are about any rare condition. (and while FIV and FeLV may be
the most common fatal feline illnesses, "most common" does not mean that
they are actually common or prevalent.) so sharing knowledge goes both ways.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM, <dlg...@windstream.net> wrote:

> my vet said the virus dies when it is dry.  just to be sure, wash down with
> clorox.  maybe not the scratching posts since they are usually not washable.
>  wash everything down with cclorox and set out in the sun to dry.
> ---- doggone...@doggonefit.com wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > After many years of rescuing positives, we have been a "catless" home for
> a few months and have made a difficult decision to adopt a healthy cat. Can
> anyone help with decisions on what should stay and what shouldn't? For
> example, scratching posts, cat carriers. I know there are many different
> opinions on how long the virus lasts, how well disinfectant  work, etc. I
> would greatly appreciate any help!
> > Thanks!
> > Heidi

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!