To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Linda, FELV kitty Felvtalk Digest, Vol 20, Issue 21

This is for Linda Gata,
I also have an FELV kitty who is 3 and liek you with your cat, she's been with me also since about Sept. '06. She was very feral, and came looking for food I guess when I used to feed some outdoor cats in the area. She was just a baby when I first saw her, but strong and could run fast. I intended on bringing her to a now-kill shelter at first, then they found she was FELV+, and there was a specific shelter I was in contact with since I have another cat who is in complete heatlh. But she became attached to me, and me to her, and I made progress with her, she wouldn't come within 5 feet of me in the beginning. I thought it could work if I just keep my 2 cats separated. My first cat, who is male, and a year and a half older was vaccinated when he was a kitten, and has received another shot and checkups since. I don't think it's as transmittable as some people think. In fact, I've read some other posts on here from people who've had FELV cats, and some of them live as long as non-FELV healthy cats, even along with other household cats not becoming positive. I was really glad and relieved to read these. But, it's important they they don't use the same litter box or food bowls, and get them regular checkups. There is an immune booster I can't remember the name of, but that I'd like to use on my cat, you said you use one on your Felv+ kitty - Can you tell me what the name is?

Thanks and I hope you keep your kitty - he sounds so sweet, even more personalble than some domesticated cats. People think feral cats can't be socialized, well, I would call him rubbing his head against yours pretty social!

Good luck,
Claudia