Amy, mine had regular blood work.  I did not do the specific B12 test,  I used
the vitamins/supplements based on their HCT nos.  A cat needs the B's, folic
acid and iron to produce new red blood cells.  The B's and folic acid are water
soluble so overdosing isn't an issue.  Iron should not be supplemented unless
there is a deficiency.

You could be right.  This is from
http://www.petplace.com/cats/anemia-in-cats/page1.aspx
"Regenerative anemia is caused by either blood loss or hemolyis (red cell
destruction). Non-regenerative anemia is seen with either acute (very sudden)
anemia of any cause, bone marrow disease, iron deficiency, or bone marrow
suppression secondary to chronic disease or kidney failure. Performing a
reticulocyte count is therefore very useful in narrowing down the causes of the
anemia."

To build on what others have said, I tend to throw the kitchen sink at whatever
the problem is.  There is no 100% guarantee on anything in life.  If there is a
chance it could help then I will try it.  My sweet Albert (advanced CRF,
anemia, CHF, severe HCM, severe periodontal disease) was given days/weeks by
his various vets.  He enjoyed another 1 1/2 yrs because we didn't believe the
vets and didn't give up.

You have to make the decision on what is best for your cat.  We are dealing
with a chronic disease.  There is no cure.  We do the best we can to manage it
and provide a loving life to our beloved companions.  Untreated anemia can
eventually kill a cat but many cats respond to a treatment plan.

Sharyl