From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Linda Sollberger
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:09 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] how to treat a cut in FeLV cat

Hello everyone,
I've been on the list for several months but haven't posted anything. My
neighbor and I are taking care of 4 FeLV cats.  Their mother was a stray cat
in our neighborhood and had kittens in our garage.  I was just trying to cut
a mat out of one of them, just under her front leg, and accidentally cut her
skin.  I feel so bad. I've never done that before to any pet.  It bled a
little but its just the skin that was cut.  We put some Neosporin on it and
a little gauze bandage.  We didn't have any gauze to wrap around the bandage
to keep it on so I cut  a clean Handiwipe in strips and tied it on.  I'm
just wondering if that's the right thing to do.  Do you think I need to take
her to the vet right away or can we just watch it for a few days?  I don't
want to stress her by taking her to the vet if I don't have to.   I have 2
cats of my own and have had quite a few vet bills lately too.  I don't need
any more but I want to do the right thing too.  How do you treat cuts in a
FeLV cat? She's almost 2 years old.
 I'm becoming quite a worrier.  We have already lost 2 of the kittens we
originally had so I'm on this list to learn as much as I can.   Originally
my vet told us they were FIV and not FeLV but I found out too late for the
first one that that's not the case.  I changed vets and I have someone I can
trust now. My heart and prayers go out to all of you who have lost  little
ones lately.   I cry ever time I read about them and almost got off the list
because it's so painful but I thought I better stay on to learn as much as I
can.  Thanks for any advice you have.

Linda