Clear Day

We're not participating in any official clinical trial, but we have decided to
use LTCI on our Romeo. We've tried other treatments to raise his platelet and
RBCs, but nothing has worked. We're going to start out with 3 doses, then run a
blood test to see if any improvements can be seen. He received his first dose
this past Friday. My vet has a colleague that's used LTCI and has had promising
results. We're hopeful, but also know that Romeo's time with us may be very
limited.

Just a little background on Romeo, he's a beautiful orange and white Maine
Coone that appeared at our house in the country about 8 years ago. Romeo
remained a reliable fixture at our place for the first couple years with us. He
was always waiting for me in the morning to bring him his breakfast and always
waiting for his supper when I came home from work. About two years after his
arrival, Romeo up and disppeared. We figured that he'd met his demise. About a
week later, Romeo came home. He gingerly walked up to me and right away I knew
something was wrong. Our vet hospital confirmed the worst. Romeo had most
likely been hit by a car. His pelvis was shattered and his left hip socket was
in pieces. Because of the substantial injuries, surgery was not an option for
the little man. His fate was in his own hands. Our vet recommended keeping him
in a very inclosed area for 6-8 weeks and see how well he healed up on his own.
Then we could make a final determination as to his fate. In order to do that,
we'd have to take him into our home. We tested Romeo for FeLV/FIV and found him
to be negative. We believed he was safe to bring him into our home, where we
already had 4 cats. Long story short, Romeo healed up beautifully! We had him
neutered, gave him all his shots, and allowed him to stay in the house with us.
However, due to the way his pelvis healed, Romeo would need to use a kitty
laxative for the remainder of his life. Occassionally he was also have a low
dose of Metacam for the arthritis he later developed in his back.

Flash forward to 2010. I took Romeo in to have his teeth cleaned. Because he's
at least 7 years old, our vet requires cats to have their blood tested prior to
anesthia. It was a shock when I received a call from them to find Romeo was
anemic. Further blood tests revealed that he was FeLV positive. We can only
assume that Romeo had been positive the whole time and that the virus was
hiding out somewhere within him. He still went outside occassionally for little
walks, but he'd received the FeLV vaccine on a regular basis just in case he
would come into contact with another stray. Living in the country, there are
plenty of stray cats wandering through. Since Romeo tested postivie for the
virus, we off course had to test our other fur babies. Sissy, our 16+ kitty
tested positive. We were already treating her for renal failure so we're not
sure if that's a result of her age or because of the FeLV. Fortunately, our
other two girls, Alexandra and Jezzebelle, tested negative! We have no idea why
they both came up negative but we're very, VERY thankful! We also lost another
little lady March of last year. Sophie passed away after becoming very ill with
AIHA (autoimmune hemolytic anemia). We don't know if there was a possibility
that she would also have tested positive for FeLV. Sophie was only 6 when she
passed away.

Sorry to drone on about our kids, but we love them all dearly and are doing
what we can to help them. Sissy and Romeo are both on Interferon, 7 days on, 7
days off. We know the LTCI may not work, but at least it's something. Having
lost one of our fur babies just over a year ago, then having Sissy diagnosed
with renal failure last fall, and now a double whammy with the FeLV is really
taking it's toll on our emotions . . . at least mine. Romeo never gave up on us
all those years ago and struggled to make his way home with a shattered pelvis.
He knew we'd help him. I can't give up on now. If the LTCI truly works, then
great! But if not, then I guess the final chapter has been written for Romeo.

Diane