On the insurance issue...please try to get something that covers people who visit. Cats scratch and they bite. I had two surgeries on a finger that one little girl who was defending herself broke. Had it been on someone else's property or had she been an owned cat, that person and not my insurance would have footed the bills .....even though it was my fault I was bitten. My insurance company called with zillions of questions to make sure they could not put the bill off on someone else. I've been nipped and scratched by my own cats too with no problem but there are so many mean-spirited people and you are doing a wonderful thing.........

On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Natalie wrote:

I operate my 501 (c) (3) cat rescue group from home; we have regular home insurance and an umbrella to cover any volunteers, workers and people who come to adopt. We have never even been asked about the state of health of all the cats - they don't care. We have a small number of FIV/FeLV positive cats and many more healthy cats. I never planned it that way, but since they were rescues, I wasn't going to kill them or not accept them....so here I am. It really did sound to me that they may have been under the impression that the cats were to be insured, is that possible? I can't think of any other reason for anyone giving a hoot about the health of cats at a shelter,
wherever it may be!!! Natalie

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
dlg...@windstream.net
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 12:21 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Cc: Chris
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FELV Shelter Insurance HELP!

ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE KENNEL PACK IS ASSOCIATED WITH PETA WITH THEIR ATTITUDE TOWARDS FELV POS CATS. THEY NEED AN UPDATE FROM A VET ABOUT POS AND NEG FELV CATS. SINCE THE VIRUS DOES NOT LIVE LONG OUTSIDE THE HOST(AFTER IT IS
DRIED OUT), MY VET SAID MAIN PROBLEM WOULD BE IF THEY GOT INTO A REAL
KNOCKDOWN FIGHT AND BIT EACH OTHER . THAT WAY THE SALIVA FROM POS CAT COULD ENTER BLOODSTREAM O NEG CAT AND CAUSE A PROBLEM. SO, IF YOU KEEP THEM IN
SEPERATE ROOMS, YOU WOULD NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT.
---- Chris <ti...@mindspring.com> wrote:
You might want to try some of the places that do keep AND adopt out FELV +
and neg cats.  Sounds a bit crazy to me that they wouldn't give you
insurance.