Hi Heather,

I also do TNR so I know where you're coming from. We actually had this same
situation happen to us a couple months ago with our 5 mo old kitten we plucked
from a colony that tested 'light' positive. We only test ferals if we can find
them a home (like kittens). Anyway, our vet said that since we were keeping her
indoors and secluded it would be best to NOT spay her until we retest in 2
months because the spay and vaccines WOULD weaken the immune system further.
And if she did test postive after the the 2 months he suggested not spaying her
at all and just keeping her indoors.

Thankfully she tested negative after the two months and did get spayed but the
urgency from the vet was to not do anything that would 'shock' her system and
make her immune system weaker.

Hope this helps!

Michelle Brockman
"It is when we forget ourselves that we do the things which will be remembered"