Hi Alice,

You might ask your vet about azithromycin.  I use it for URI/bartonella, often
hard to tell the difference without testing.  My vets would use azithromycin in
either case anyway, so I skip the testing and do the az.  You can get
fish-flavored, oil-based, which lasts 90 days versus 10 days for water-based
from Wedgewood pharmacy:

 http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/azithromycin-oral-oil-suspension.html

I treat for 20 days, usually see results within 3 days.   I just started a
kitten I took in who had a bad URI, gummy eyes, nose, etc.  He had been on
Clavamox for 5 days before he came to me, and was obviously not getting better.
 Two days on az. plus some eye drops, and within 48 hours, he's doing MUCH
better.

The Wedgewood az. actually works out cheaper, and I can get it in a more
concentrated form, so I don't have to give as much volume per dose...REALLY
helps with my domesticated ferals :-)

Terry
---- Alice Flowers <aliceflow...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

=============
Another Murphy relapse...poor boy is all congested and sneezy with a URI, he
began with light sneezing earlier this week, I gave him a PennG shot Friday
night because he had sneezed so much that he was getting bloody droplets. Now
he's really getting plugged up. I called the vet to see about reducing his
prednisolone dose because steroids suppress the immune system. He's been on
Lasix and Pred for 3 weeks since his diagnosis of Lymphoma. We are cutting him
down to 1/2 from 5mg 2x a day to once a day. I have put some L-Lysine powder
into gel caps because he will not eat it in his food nor eat the very expensive
Lysine treats we tried in the past. Seems the Lysine is supposed to help keep
the herpes virus (viruses in general) from replicating. This  flares up every
time his immune system is low and he ends up with upper respiratory problems. I
know he's not feeling well because I've waken up with him snuggled with me on
the bed for the last 2 mornings. He normally doesn't get on the bed, he likes
sleep by the open slider screen door. I am still optimistic because his
breathing is still better, hopefully the fluid is still gone from his chest
area, he was in for his check up a week ago and the vet was impressed with how
clear his lungs sounded. Maybe he picked up a bug from the exam room-he was
wandering on the floor, my fault for letting him move around. He's such a
people
person, he likes all the people at the vet clinic and wants to see what they
are
doing. I hope the Lysine helps soon. They said if he's still congested, we can
try a mild Afrin nasal decongestant. He's not that bad yet, I don't think, just
somewhat depressed. Not eating as much, but still eating the AD and all the
gravy from the fancy feast plus some dry food. I know some may be tired of
hearing about Murphy, but I think it may help to keep hope alive, he keeps
bouncing back since the end of July when he became so anemic that by the first
of August I had to syringe feed him for a few days. He is on Procrit now just
once a week instead of 3x a week. Please, purrayers help!!  Alice