Not sure if this is possible but they probably got a bad batch of Frontline
- I've used it in the Northeast with zero proplems (and like it because it
addresses fleas & ticks).  My vet also started using a product called
v-somthing but it doesn't help with ticks.  If you know for sure you only
have a flea problem (no ticks) then advantage is a good product (and will
get rid of ear mites and worms as well).  Just spoke to a lady yesterday who
does rescue.  She orders advantage from Canada via the mail as it is much
cheaper that way.

About the stones - does the cat appear to be straining when peeing or appear
constipated?  That would be indicative of stones.   Also if the cat is prone
to stones he may have developed an aversion to using the litter box
and choose other objects to pee on instead or he may have developed an
aversion to using the litter box for another reason.  So changing the type
of litter you use may help.  Having said all that we had a cat that prone to
UTIs and they way she would let us know she had one is by peeing on our bed
(hooray for waterproof matress covers).

Is there anyway you can call and ask your vet at home what they use to
diagnose kidney stones?

In googling feline kidney stones it appears that x-trays or ultrasounds are
used for diagnosis.  Found x-rays mentioned on a couple of sites (but note
that the information below is from a site I just found by googling so not
sure how good it is  http://www.cat-health-guide.org/felinekidneystones.html).
My guess is that if the vet finds no stones via x-ray the next step they
will suggest an ultrasound (which of course is even more expensive).

"If cat kidney stones are suspected, your vet will take x-rays. The stones
will usually show up white on the x-ray. Some kinds of stones don’t show up
on x-rays and can only be seen by ultrasound. Your vet will look for stones
elsewhere in the urinary tract as well.

Your vet will also test your cat’s urine to see if she has a bladder
infection. Bladder infections are very common in pets with kidney stones. "