I've been looking on line for answers. So take these things with a grain of
salt, esp. since I'm not a vet. But then I'm not sure most vets see enough FeLV
to really be that knowledgeable about it.

What I've been able to understand from what I was able to  find:
ELISA tests for for FeLV free (unattached to other cells) in the bloodstream.
This shows initial infection.
The IFA tests for the virus attached to white blood cells (white cells are made
in the bone marrow, which is where they pick up the virus) This shows secondary
infection, & is when the cat starts sheddiing the virus & is contagious to
other cats. I would treat ANY cat testing positive on Either test as contagious.

The article below explains the life stages of the virus.According to this an
IFA should ONLY be used after a positive Elisa. An IFA run without an Elisa may
miss the initial stage of infection because it is only looking for FeLV in the
white blood cells.

http://www.lbah.com/feline/felv.html

I really wish I was still in school & had the time to research & write about
this subject!

Beth