From: Natalie <at...@optonline.net>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:50 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Interesting FeLV info from a rescue group

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_RELEASING_FIV_FELV_POSITIVE_CATS

For FeLV, again the ELISA test is almost always the initial test used.  In
contrast to FIV, the FeLV ELISA does not detect antibodies, but whether the
antigen of the virus is present in the blood.  In other words, a positive test
result indicates the presence of the actual FeLV virus in the blood.  But, the
test is extremely sensitive and is prone to false positives from improper
handling.  In addition, a cat in the early stages of FeLV infection can still
fight it off.  The disease does not take permanent hold until it enters the
cat's white blood cells, which only another type of test, the IFA test
(Immunofluoresence Assay, also known as the Hardy test) can determine.  The IFA
test must be performed at a lab and is more expensive.  Consequently, if a cat
appears otherwise healthy, a positive ELISA test should always be confirmed
with an IFA test.  Only if other severe pathological symptoms of FeLV are
present should an initial positive ELISA
 ever be relied upon alone.