From: Marta Gasper <marta.gas...@yahoo.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] new member

Debbie
Welcome to the group_albeit circumstances but thats how most of us got here_I
agree with Beth.
The symptoms you describe could be a number of diseases. No way to tell for
sure if he has FeLV until he's been tested with a definitive test like an IFA,
though in his case and given his age I'd say his former negative result is what
it is.
I wonder why the vet thought it could be FeLV, specially since he has no
diarrea/soft stools, blood disorders(wich show as blodd in stool). I wouldn't
give him pred unless it is just supportve care, it suppreses the inmune system,
the last thing any cat needs.
However if he has stomatitis I would.
I've had and have FeLV+s cats.
The one I've now is close to last stages, he's playful and animated but has a
chronic URI, soft stools and bloody diahrrea, thrifty coat, sometimes he
staggers, keeps getting sores, sneezes blood sometimes, that is because can't
coagulate well, eats like a horse and hasn't gained an ounce. Well he has
lately but my other cats would be basketballs if they ate like he does.
Besides he tested twice + on the ELISA and comes from a household where most
cats were FeLV+. A hoarding situation, very sad but at least he has a better
life now tho very limited.
Anyways I'd run a test first, to me I wouldn't jump to conclusions, stomatitis
or other disorder sure could be. Don't put him on pred(steroids or
glucocorticoids.

http://homelessnomore.webs.com/