 From: "dlg...@windstream.net" <dlg...@windstream.net>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] RACCOON GETTING INTO CAT STATION/reply/reply

I was going to say that the coons will just carry off the feeder and break it
open at their convenience.  I loose a lot of suet feeders that way.  My outside
water bowls are always dirty in the AM.  One has to wash their food before
eating it. I think they also take a bath before eating.

---- Maureen Olvey <molvey...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, they can climb trees and recently I found out that they can get on top
> of my car.  I had put some bags of cat food on the trunk of my car one
> night.  When I came back outside a couple hours later there were nice little
> raccoon paw prints on my car and windshield and a tear in the bag.  I didn't
> see any major scratches in the paint, like from them climbing, so I wondered
> if it was really the cats but those dirty paw prints gave it away.  Cat paw
> prints are different. My suggestion - give up.  You can't beat the raccoons.
> Or the opposums for that matter.  They climb trees too.  I leave extra food
> out when I have donated food but if not it can get expensive trying to feed
> the raccoons, opposums and cats.  I don't mind feeding the raccoons but I'm
> not rich enough to feed all the hungry mouths in GA.  I'm wondering if
> raccoons are transient though.  Like I read on an opposum website that they
> don't plant roots.  They may stick around a few
 days but then they move on.  I have a feeling raccoons do that also.  I need
to google it.  Right now at one of my feral locations there are no raccoons
coming around at night.  But at times I know there are because all the food is
gone and the water is dirty.  Plus I've seen them there when I go by at night.
But for the last couple of months when I show up the next day the cats have dry
food left from the day before and the water is clean.  And at my house I also
will sometimes see a mama and babies.  But a month or two later I'm only seeing
one or two raccoons coming around, not the mama and four babies.  Where did
they go? My friend that only has a couple cats at one feeding station uses one
of those food containers with a timer on it.  She feeds a certain amount in an
open bowl during the day, but at 9:00 at night one side of the container opens
with food and later in the night, like 2:00 am the other side opens.  That way
the cats have
 food during the night.  But the timer thing is small and wouldn't work with a
big colony.  Plus I've had raccoons carry bowls off so I would think they would
carry that off too.