When I first joined the animal welfare movement, I was and still am an animal
rights activist, vegan by ethics and choice.  I was treated by some as if I
were a terrorist, barely tolerated by them, feared by others, ignored by still
others.  Finally, one of the fearful people asked me what vegetarians eat.  I
ask back what did she think they ate and she said, "Cabbage, carrots, lettuce,
you know, vegetables."  I told her that she had probably mistaken us for
rabbits.  Then I explained the bean protocol, the tofu and soy protocol to
her.  She wrinkled her nose and said that this can't be healthy.  I wrinkled my
nose right back at her and said that eating a dead animal isn't healthy
either.  Some years later, I met her again.  She asked after my cats, found
that I had as many as I originally had, then asked me if I were still a vegan.
I told her I was and she said the she wasn't yet a vegan but she was a
vegetarian because of all the horrid
 things she had heard about how meat was raised and processed.  I think that if
you are polite and courteous and patient with people and your belief is
rational, logical and legitimate, you can eventually educate most people to see
your way of thinking as acceptable and even worth trying especially if that
belief gets enough press coverage and publicity.

too!