 From: janine paton <patonjan...@sbcglobal.net>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Deciding-when-a-pet-has-suffered-enough

Hello,

I joined this list years ago, and have now needed to rejoin.  Trying to find
testing protocol for FeLV and an explanation for it.

I am with a rescue grp and we have just started trapping in a colony that had
30
kittens last year and none of them tested pos.  We just took 9 kittens within a
few days, and are close to having all of the adults neutered.  There were a few
newcomers - mostly toms.

All kittens tested neg until Bella, who tested a weak pos with Elysa sent out
lab.  Moms were all mixed up in this colony, everyone taking care of each
other's kittens.

A 2nd vet did IFA test a few days after Bella's pos results, which I understand
is too soon, but having a hard time trying to explain this!

My concern is that even if all the kittens tested neg except Bella, that
doesn't
mean in a few weeks the same kittens would not retest pos.  My thinking is that
more than one may have been exposed recently enough that the test might not be
positive last wk, but may be tomorrow?

Another vet thinks I am over thinking/reacting and we should just adopt out the
ones that have tested neg right around the same time Bella tested positive.

Looking for guidance -

Thank you,
Janine