From: "Lee Evans" <moonsiste...@yahoo.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Vaccinations
Date: Sat, Oct 6, 2012 6:05 pm
Tubal ligations are even dangerous in human females.  They can open up, get
infected, cause blockages, even lead to tubal pregnancies although I don't know
exactly how that would happen.  I worked in a medical office for 12 years and
tubals never seemed to work as advertised. Most women complained of pain long
afterwards, cramping, even bleeding. In addition, tubal ligation does nothing
to protect from breast cancer.  Cats are very prone to mammary cancer so
spaying would be the best prevention for that terrible menace to cat health.
One of my cats had been diagnosed as borderline diabetic. Since Cookie was
going to be an indoor-only cat, the vet recommended leaving her intact, not
spaying.  She was an older cat, went into heat about 3 times in my house and
then gave it up as a bad idea.  But she
still had her hormone glands intact.  About 5 years after I took her in, I
noticed that her belly fur was wet and clumpy and that her nipples had turned
dark brown.  Her appetite was also failing and she actually was allowing me to
touch her, she was so weak.  I took her to the vet.  He diagnosed multiple
tumors in her mammary glands.  Hormones are NOT the fountain of youth for a
cat. They do nothing for the immune system that good care, good food and good
supplements can't do.  In addition, tubal ligation would do nothing to relieve
the cat from the distress of going into heat when breeding season comes around.
 That's very stressful especially when the cat is not going to be bred.  Same
with vasectomy for a male cat.  You would have a howling, spraying cat pacing
around the house or running out to bite and fight although he could not make a
female pregnant.  Sometimes vasectomies reverse themselves so
the cat might end up being fertile after all.  It happens in humans quite
often.  In cats, it still exposes them to the dangers of mating, including
contracting FIV and FeLv.

too!

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!
If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and to
free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537