We had one cat with hyperthyroidism and we did the one time iodine treatment,
brought him home 4 days later and he has been great ever since.  We did not
want to force pills down his gullet twice a day for the rest of his life.  Plus
there was the cost factor, $1,000 a year for the rest of his life or one time
$1,675 treatment.  We opted for the one time treatment.