Hi Lance and Ember,

            While I've never had a problem with metacam, I refuse it when
possible. When Gribble was first diagnosed as FeLV positive, his fever was very
high, an we neeed an anti-inflammatory. I chose Ketoprofen, and we had good
results. It was used for 5 days.

            For pain, I'd suggest buprenorphine (Buprenex) or Tramadol, with my
preference being the buprenorphine, as it is both easy to give, and to adjust
dose-wise. It is often first prescribed at too high (in my opinion) a dose, but
I have good luck with starting at a lower dose and working up to an amount that
makes the cat comfortable but not loopy or groggy. Torb doesn't last very long.

            I would avoid steroids in an immune compromised critter, so for me
and FeLV+ Gribble, Prenisolone is out.

            Every cat is different, and I'm certainly no Vet, but I hope you
can reach an understanding with your Vet(s) that can keep Ember comfortable and
happy.

All the nest,

Margo