From: Lee Evans
Sent: May 26, 2013 1:17 PM
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org"
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] campaign to get an felv cat to sanctuary

It may not be a scam. There are a lot of these types of contribution sites around, mainly because people are struggling with vet bills and animals that are difficult to get adopted. Matter of fact, I am developing a site called Community Cats in Crisis and going to try to get funds through YouCare, another publicly used site for contributions. This is in answer to the fact that several people in my independent rescue group have spent over $5,000 of their own money dealing with illnesses and injuries of colony cats and abandoned cats in our community. I am $3,000 down in my finances from two rescued cats, one still surviving with bone cancer.  That said, these people are going about this slightly backwards. They should first identify the Sanctuary that has agreed to accept Alan so people can contact the Sanctuary and see what it's all about. Then they need to find out where Alan will be living at the Sanctuary and what other types of cats will be living with him. You wouldn't want to mix FeLv and FIV+ cats together. Anyone can start a Sanctuary and take in cats. That's a problem. Here near San Antonio there was an FeLv sanctuary. The woman had over 100 FeLv+ cats there, all crammed into a small shed, with an outside enclosure that was smaller than a small backyard. The rest of the property was a sheep ranch. She took very poor care of the cats and did not separate those who were positive but not active for the disease from those who were already showing signs of the disease. The place was filthy, food was rotting or very low grade and symptoms were not treated with medications. She had no certification as a shelter or sanctuary or certified rescue group. Just a woman using part of her sheep ranch to store FeLv+ cats. She would collect up to $2,000 per cat and the people who released the cats to her care were shown a very nice living room type area with several cats lounging about. They never saw the real place where she eventually crammed more and more cats.

Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty neighbors too!

.