 From: Amanda K. Payne <amandak.pa...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2013 4:57 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Rescuing Kittens and Positive Kitty w/ Flatulence

Hi Everyone!

I have two questions today regarding FeLV.

First, for anyone who has worked in the rescue world, what is your testing
protocol?  I volunteer w/ several cat/kitten rescues in Los Angeles.  I
recently found a litter in my garage and they're staying in my guest room until
I can find a foster.  I have two FeLV+ cats so I'm overly cautious and don't
want other cats in the house, even if they're in the spare room away from my
cats.  One of the rescues found another foster for the litter but the new
foster has a cat.  I got to talking to her about FeLV and now she won't take
the kittens without them being tested--which I TOTALLY agree with. However, the
rescue doesn't seem to think it necessary.  Am I just paranoid?  I think all
cats and kittens should be tested before being introduced into a new household.
 However, I feel like an ass for talking too much because I may have wrecked
their potential foster home. I also know that testing isn't the most economical
thing to do--LAAS doesn't even
 test their animals until they are adopted out. How does everyone feel about
testing vs. not testing?

Also, my girl, Polli (the one who wasn't eating a few weeks ago) has terrible
gas.  It clears the room.  She's eating, drinking and using the litter box
fine. She's always had problems with flatulence but now that she's showing
signs of leukemia related illnesses, I once again just want to make sure it's
not a sign of something bigger.  Anyone have FeLV kitties with gas?  Or a gassy
cat for that matter?

Talk to ya'll soon and I hope everyone's kitties are doing well!

Best,
-Amanda

--
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge" Bertrand Russell