We think it is congenital. I don't know of anything she's gone through
since I had her that would cause trauma resulting in a hernia. I've seen
her take some big leaps and fly across the room to land awkwardly on
something, but I don't think those had that kind of impact.

I'm going to talk to her primary vet soon. I've now spoken to several
vets, and they are all advising caution. I just don't want her symptoms
to get worse (ie her to feel worse or to be threatened). We're going
into an awkward few weeks with a holiday and some issues I'll have with
getting her to surgery. We'll either need to do surgery in the next week
or two, or she'll have to wait a few weeks.