Hi Emily,

Glad to hear that Tofu is doing well. Do you do anything special for
him (supplements, food, environmental, medicine)?

Regarding your first question, you'll want to check out the AAFP
Retrovirus Management Guidelines paper, available here:

[1]http://www.catvets.com/guidelines/practice-guidelines/retrovirus-man
agement-guidelines

We now think that the latent infection is what is known as a regressive
infection. Current thinking (via the paper) is that it's unlikely that
cats with this type of infection will develop disease. I wonder if some
of what's been said in the past about latent infections doesn't refer
to cats who are persistently infected but asymptomatic (or mostly so).
My cat, Ember, is almost certainly persistent, but she rarely deals
with major illness. She's 11 years old, and she's had the virus a
minimum of seven years.

Regarding your second question, some sources indicate that there are
additional virus types that sometimes arise in FeLV+ cats
post-infection. These additional viruses are not transmittable, but
they are responsible for anemia and lymphomas. I haven't seen any
official sources even consider different strains of the primary virus.
My ignorant layman's hunch is that, given many factors (like genetic
makeup, stress level, age, immune system, general health, nutrition,
environment), some persistently infected cats are more vulnerable to
disease  than others.

I see a lot of speculation (like mine above?) online, and I wouldn't
put much stock in it. For best info, I think the AAFP paper is the way
to go, probably followed by Cornell's current research. They seem
pretty busy and aren't always at the edge of FeLV knowledge, but I
think they're careful to provide accurate information to the best of
their abilities.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Lance

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 10:13 AM, [2]ad...@fuzzyfriendsrescue.com