From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
Amanda K. Payne
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 7:35 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] A Tribute to Polli

It was just another hot August morning when our upstairs neighbors
frantically called my boyfriend.  He went out to see what was wrong and came
back, worried.  He told me I needed to come check something out.  Concerned,
I went into the foyer and frantically running around and mewing was a tiny
gray and white kitten with huge white paws.

That was the morning we first met Polli.  She was dirty, blanketed with
fleas and had a terrible URI that had glued her little eyes shut.  Our
neighbors couldn't keep her due to a cat-aggressive dog and my boyfriend
wasn't a pet person who was absolutely against us having another cat.
However, we live in a city with high kill shelters and there was no way this
little cat would make it out alive.  Without a second thought, I rushed her
into our home and called the local vet.  I promised my guy that once she
recovered, I would find a new home for her.  Who knew that within those two
weeks it took for her to become healthy and strong that she would have also
stolen our hearts, officially making my boyfriend a "cat person."  Or as he
would say, "a Polli person."

Since August of 2012, we have been the lucky guardians of this sweet girl.
Polli, named for her polydactyl paws and the gray dot on her pink nose that
reminded us of the dot on a lower-case 'i', was like no other cat I have
known.  As a friend once said, she has the sweetest soul of any creature he
has ever met.  She rushed to greet whomever came to our home, spent
countless hours sprawled out across my boyfriend's chest and would wake me
at 6:30 every morning by sweetly meeping at our bedroom door, waiting to
come in to lay in my arms and chew on my hair before falling back asleep.

Since her diagnosis in March, the little cat we love slowly faded. Even
though the vet gave her just two weeks, she fought on for close to four
months, earning her the nickname, "Tiny Brawler".  During those months, we
let our hearts spill forth and gave her so much love and affection. Windows
were left open for her to rest in, plates full of treats and wet food were
always present and not a day went by that we didn't kiss her little head and
tell her what a wonderful cat she was. Her strong will to live and give love
was no match for the terrible ways FeLV ravaged her body.  We wanted her to
leave this earth knowing love and comfort and assisted her passing this
afternoon.  Her spirit left this earth as her body laid in one of her
favorite spots in our kitchen with both my guy and I petting and kissing
her.

Her life, though short, was filled with love, a full belly and warm home
that will feel empty without her.  To my sweet Polli, may your spirit soar
high with birds and find its place at the Rainbow Bridge. You will be
forever missed and loved by so many people, especially Austin and I.

-Amanda

--
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge" Bertrand
Russell