We had a kitty that showed up in the backyard a few years
back so we trapped her and had her fixed and vaccinated and named her SuzieQ.
Soon a male showed up so we got him all fixed
up.  Well, SuzieQ became more and more
friendly but we didn't want to leave Charlie outside alone and they were very
bonded so we built them a nice insulated, elevated house with a deck and
feeding area.  One day Charlie went
missing so we brought SuzieQ inside.
Everything went well for almost a year until she started losing a lot of
weight.  After an ultrasound, the vet
recommended surgery to biopsy the mass in her abdomen.  It came back as a very
aggressive form of cancer
that is common in cats with FeLuk.  She
tested negative but Dr. McCann said that she may have been exposed and fought
off the virus as a kitten but by then it was too late, the virus had done it's
damage and within 3 weeks of her diagnosis, she was gone.
So, I guess what I am saying here is any cat that has been
exposed to Leukemia, even if they don't have it, runs the risk of getting one
or more of the cancers associated with the disease.  Not that they all will,
but there is that
risk.  But then again, life expectancy is
fluid; we never know when our number is up.
We lost a sweet kitty at five and a half years old and he didn't have
Leukemia or FIV, he was just a very sickly kitten and his body finally gave
out.  Cats, like people, die at different
ages and all we can do is embrace life, love them and care for them while they
are here and hold them forever in our hearts when they are gone.

 Edna